In April 2016 I realised my dream and opened Bessie’s Cafe. With a passion for food and a long career within the industry, I decided to take the plunge! And with the help of my husband and family, I was able to open a little place of my own. My aim was to create a ‘home from home’ feel, and my customers are not disappointed! If you’re looking for a cosy and intimate place to eat, drink and be merry!
My goal as a café/bistro owner is to provide our customers with delicious, home-cooked, locally sourced, fresh food. The daytime café menu changes around every six months to ensure we keep things exciting and we always ask our customers what they would like to see on the menu – so keep sending your suggestions our way! You might just see your favourite dish on our next menu!
Our ‘Taste the World’ bistro nights, which take place every Friday, are a huge hit with our locals and our loyal regulars who often travel across the city to be apart of our tasty adventure! Every month there is a new and delicious menu created by us from a destination whose unique culinary treats have inspired us.
Another huge aspect of what we do is our increasingly popular outside catering events. You name it, we’ve done it! From weddings to baby showers, corporate events to christenings. For every event our goal is to provide the customer with a bespoke menu designed especially around their theme, food tastes, dietary needs and budget. With more and more exciting events booked in the diary 2020 is set to be a busy year for this little cafe!
The walls are covered in big splashes of colour, art that is for sale and quirky charity shop frames – a mish-mash of my higgledy-piggledy personality. You will also find lots of books (novels, cookbooks, photography books and kids books) scattered around for those who want to spend a couple of hours flicking through something interesting.
Bubble & Squeak Cakes with Poached Egg, Streaky Bacon & Honey Mustard Sauce
INGREDIENTS (serves 4)
8 slices of streaky bacon
4 potatoes, peeled and chopped
1 large carrot, peeled and diced
1 sliced leek
50ml double cream
100g breadcrumbs (gf optional)
1 tbsp of wholegrain mustard
1 tsp of honey
salt and pepper to taste
1. Boil the potatoes until soft and then mash. In a separate pan boil the leeks and carrots until soft. Combine potatoes with the carrots and leeks and a knob of butter and a sprinkle of salt and pepper. Add the breadcrumbs to the mixture
2. Form four potato cakes making each the same size
3. Heat some oil in a frying pan and slowly brown the potato cakes on each side. Add them to a low heated oven (120’c) while cooking the rest
4. Put a large saucepan with water on to boil for the poached eggs
5. Meanwhile, heat another frying pan and fry the bacon
6. Put the cream, mustard and honey in a small saucepan and bring to the boil on a low heat until thickened
7. Make four poached eggs (see our top tips below)
8. Put the potato cake on a plate, add the bacon and then the poached egg. Drizzle the cream sauce around the plate and VIOLA! Add pea shoots for greenery (optional)
- Any left over cream sauce put into an ice cube tray for next time. One cube is a perfect portion, just reheat in the microwave
- For the perfect poached eggs add a splash of vinegar to the water and crack the eggs (one by one) into a small bowl and then pour into the pan. Simmering water is best, not boiling